Friday, December 4, 2009

So far So good

What happens when you take meds to help balance out the chemicals that your body has a shortage of? Well I thought since I had to be on this Adipex medicine for 4 months I would blog every little bit about it and kind of keep track of how it is working- I go back to the dr. in 6 weeks to check and see, but since my brain tends to hold too much in it - I don't want to forget some things so I may post about them. First of all let me say after further investigation of the Cymbalta (anti-depressant) that I am on and further investigation of the Adipex- here is what I learned: Cymbalta is also prescribed for fibromyalgia ( a disease that I still have a frustration about - again another post). Adipex was originally designed to work with individuals with depression tendencies brought on by ADHD- yep you read it- Cooper is a product of his mommy and while I always suspected I had ADHD I have never been diagnosed. So, I took it yesterday and wow- what a buzz! I was not expecting to feel like I was on a natural high- not like in lala medicine land but in the "I can accomplish much today" high. I realized for the first time I could see the individual things (piles) that needed to be tackled instead of seeing one giant overwhelming mess and I was able to think clearly about prioritizing. Not to mention the fact that I was not tired- I never had to sit down with the thought in my head, "I just need to sit down for a minute." Typically I can go for about 30-45 min before I have to take a break. Yesterday I was just blowin' and goin'. It was wonderful to finish a load of laundry from start to finish (putting them away) and not think- "oh, I don't want to go all the way upstairs to put these away- I will just leave them in the basket at the bottom of the steps." As far as eating- I wasn't hungry... at all... not until about 8 when it wore off- I ate a little snack in the morning and a small lunch and a small snack around 4, but overall it was more of an eat because I need to and not because I wanted to taste something in my mouth. I knew for the sake of my body I needed to eat but because I didn't have that craving food-where is it where is it- feeling I was able to make good choices about what I was putting in. I wonder if this is what it feels like to be a person who eats to live and not lives to eat. If so, no wonder people lose weight... energy to exercise, stabilizing your desire to eat so healthy choices are made and not irrational ones. So far so good I guess- as far as today- I am sitting posting this eating my lunch and feel the same as yesterday- not quite as buzzed (which is a bummer lol) but still feeling energetic and focused.

On a different note - I gave Cooper an old pair of gloves this morning at his teachers request (just in case it snowed) and he was soo very thrilled- who knew a pair of black stretchy gloves from the dollar spot at a certain red targeted retail store would mean so much to a six year old. He hugged me at least 3 times before he left and then hollered, "thanks again for the gloves mom" over his shoulder as he ran down the sidewalk to get into Jeff's car. That kid is too much!

1 comment:

Julie said...

So glad the meds are working for you! Focus is a good thing. Hugs!